I guess you can tell what Video Van is in to at the moment, by his party theme. On our drive home from AZ Vacation, the kids watched The Muppets on their iPod's a LOT. Van was singing the songs for weeks following. When I first asked Van what he wanted for a birthday party he told me a Muppets party. I was pretty excited and found some cute party games and things for a Muppets party. However, about a week prior to the party, I was checking in with him about the party and he changed his mind. He now had to have a dragon party. Ugh....good thing I hadn't started making/buying any of the decorations yet. Being the good mom that I am, I let him have his dragon party. I found some cute ideas for dragon themed parties and went from there. I only had a week, so I had to get on it pretty fast.
The party went rather well. We had a good turn out and everyone had a good time. I had made some dragon hand puppets, we had a feed the dragon bean bag toss game, color and shoot the dragon game, and we even had a dragon pinata! We had to search to find a dragon pinata but Derek found one!
Here are some pictures:
The kids had a blast destroying playing in the playroom
The dragon puppets I made
I had the kiddos color some dragon coloring pages, then we cut and taped them to the ceiling fan and they shot at them with Nerf guns. It was fun but rather hard, oh well.
We had some dragon themed snacks: Dragon toes (carrots and pretzels), dragon snot (dip), dragon eggs (grapes), dragon scales (various chips), dragon blood (salsa), and some dragon spit (soda/water). I thought I was pretty clever: nerd.
Feed the dragon game: I was going to make a bean bag toss game. I sewed some bean bags shaped as fish and was trying to figure out how to best make the board, but Derek being a smart guy searched around and found someone in the ward with a jack-o-lantern shaped bean bag toss board (made out of wood). We borrowed it and I had to quickly makeshift a dragon on to the front. That's why the mouth is so funky (it's actually a jack-o-lantern), I literally drew this dragon out 20 minutes before the party started. I wish I had more time, I could've colored it in a bit. Oh well. It came together pretty well though.
"Feed the Gronckle" Game
A dragon pinata!
The kill...
The cake was a funny story. I was determined not to have to make a dragon cake myself. I searched around to local stores, but unless you want Dora or princess, or Cars cake you are out of luck. There were NO dragon type cakes to be found and to special order a small round cake was $50. BUMMER! I just so happened to be at Costco and passed by the cake section. I peeked and saw a cake that had a blue dinosaur on it. I thought to myself....if only it had wings it would totally look like a dragon! I asked and was told to just write that on the instructions. Lo and behold.....
Dragon cake (pretty cute, huh)
He wanted to eat the dragons face.
Presents! Thanks everyone for all the wonderful gifts!
Van had a wonderful birthday. He had so much fun and I'm so glad that everyone was able to come. There were 10 kids there! Fun times.
Happy Birthday Van! You are loved.
What a fun birthday party! You did a great job.
ReplyDelete