Monday, August 19, 2013

Summer Wrap Up and Kids Update

Thinking back, we have done a lot of things this summer and none of it has made it to the blog. I need to catch up so I don't forget. I will add pictures hopefully within a few days so it's not SO boring. :)

This year we signed the boys up for swim lessons and for a sports class. The boys both LOVE swimming. Weston advanced from level 1 to level 2. Van had taken some swim lessons before so we started him at level 2. Now they are in the same class which I thought might be a nightmare, but they are doing really well being together plus there are only 4 kids in the class so they get a lot of attention. They love it so much that I signed them up for the fall too.
Their sports class has been a bit more challenging. I wanted to put Van in specifically due to his inability to lose without freaking out, which is typical but he needs to work on (I've been told the only way to help him overcome this is with practice--doing it over and over). He had some hard times but as of today--which was the last class--he has finally come to the understanding that it's more important to have fun and if you get tagged or you don't make the goal it's okay because we are just there to have fun and practice. He did really well the last 2 classes. I'm hopeful that he will continue improving with this very difficult issue; I mean, no one wants to lose, but when your brain is developmentally behind in this area it is a lot more challenging to lose with grace. Weston had a hard time in the class also (Newtons law), due to the fact that he has officially stopped naps (He made it 4 years with taking naps!!). His lack of nap and the time of the class: 5:45-6:25 made for an especially tired and cranky 4 year old. What was I thinking when I signed them up for this time? Well, it was the only time, but still......I'm crazy.

We've gone to the zoo a few times, we've made it to several $1 kids movies that Regal puts on in the summer, we've gone bowling, fishing, to the nickle arcade, to a lake, to multiple water parks, bounce house places, the beach, play dates, family swim, had art time, and I'm sure lots more that I'm forgetting. It has been a busy and fun summer. No actual vacation trips, but Disneyland should be coming up this fall. Yippee!!

Oh and this summer we have taken Van to get medically diagnosed through his insurance. He's been to see an Audiologist: his hearing is perfect, a Speech Language Pathologist: we will be starting therapy next month for Van to get help with his social speech (they set up playgroups and facilitate them with an SLP and OT), he went to an Occupational Therapist: he will have a few visits with her but mainly for him to get comfortable with her for the social playgroup thing, and next up will be the Behavioral Pediatrician. All the specialists have been amazing. After all of these appointments they will put their findings together and we will have a better picture of where Van is on the Autism Spectrum. I keep hearing about some diagnosis book that just changed where book 4 had all the Autism disorders separated (Autism, Aspergers, PDD NOS: Pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified, and another which I don't remember the name), but book 5 is combining them. Since Autism is a spectrum disorder there is a big umbrella that all of these fit under. It will still be interesting to see where they think he fits.

Every Thursday Van's counselor, Nikki, comes over to our house (SO convenient) and works with us on some behaviors and challenges that Van has. I think I will list a few so I can remember later and hopefully see his growth. We've been working on transitions (it is very challenging at times to change from one activity to another--especially a "fun" activity to a "not fun" activity), taking turns/playing board games fairly, we've been playing "school" to get him ready to sit still for real school. I'm hopeful that us playing school every day this summer has helped him to be ready.  She has been working with him playing with toys for him to engage her while playing and let her join in. Nikki has also been witness to a couple of Van's meltdowns and has helped me see what I should be doing while this happens. It's been nice knowing that I have someone to bounce issues and problems off and get some good ideas for solutions. She's great.

Along with therapy, Nikki has set up a parent of Autistic children class every Monday night that we have been attending. It has been good, we've learned a lot: I now know that Van's tantrums are NOT tantrums, they are more like panic attacks; they call them meltdowns and so it is now easier to see that NO, you can't talk/snap him out of it, he having a panic attack and just has to get through it (I just have to make sure he and everyone else are safe until it's over--luckily Van's meltdowns last only a few minutes and I can usually see them coming). Sometimes Nikki will have special guest speakers from the community come in to talk with us about their specialty. The saying for Autism goes: "When you've met one person with Autism, you've met ONE person with Autism." Because Autism is a spectrum there are multiple areas that may be affected for some and not for others. It was explained to us very well: the spectrum is not like a line graph where a child would fit in one spot on the line. It is more like a buffet where you pick some of this and some of that and none of the other. That's why Autistic kids are so different. From this class I have realized that we really don't have it very bad, some of these kids have some whoppers of issues. I am grateful for all of this knowledge I have now and continue to get.

I love that Van is different, it makes him who he is, and I wouldn't change him for anything. Van is a loving, caring, sweet boy. He has a quick temper, but gets over thing quickly and they don't linger with him. He loves learning and will quote facts about his favorite things (mainly animals and dinosaurs). His memory is amazing.

After all this Van talk, let me not leave out Weston. He is right along for our daily "school" time, he gets to play along with us when Nikki comes over, he gets to be babysat when Van has doctors appointments (which is not a bad thing...Van wants begs to be babysat so it makes Weston feel special and lucky. Now I will have to make a reason for Van to be babysat just to even the score--haha). Weston is really coming in to his own and has a very strong personality. He is super opinionated and thinks he is always right and will "tell you how it is", he loves to tell Van what to do and tries to tell us what to do also (don't worry he doesn't get away with it). He is super funny and has a very "typical 4 year old" love of potty humor (poop and bum are hilarious and will be inserted into a nonsensical phrases to get a laugh from his audience: Van, then they both start up). Weston loves to talk and will sometimes talk just to talk; he likes to have the attention, whether being funny or naughty. I'm still working on ignoring his negative behavior to overly notice the positive in an attempt to curb his naughty attention for positive attention. I love this kid. He cracks us up daily with the funny things he says and does. He definitely adds spice to life.

That's all I have for now. Will add pics soon (I hope).

1 comment:

  1. Just caught up on your blog! I love all the things you've done with your house and I'm glad you're getting help with Van. Feel blessed that you can do all the testing. We can't get any testing done for Josh because insurance won't pay for a dime. He's got the educational diagnosis, but no medical one. Even if we paid out of pocket for it (was told all the testing would cost about 2k) none of the therapy would be covered because Autism isn't a covered diagnosis on our insurance. Seems crazy, but that's what we have. So I get another few months before I'll have to dive in and start getting my ducks in a row for school. Not looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete